Image Map

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Guest Post: Jessica {A Simple Kind of Life}

Hi everyone! My name is Jessica and I’m a blogger over at A Simple Kind of Life. 
I’m also the proud owner of the new Etsy shop, Lucy + James. I’m thrilled to be guest blogging here at Table for Three. Hi to Megan and sweet little Olivia! My blog is mainly DIY and crafty projects with a few lifestyle and mommyhood topics tossed in, so I decided to share with you all a little project I whipped up this past weekend.



I’m a mom, too, and if many of you are moms, you know what limited free time you have. Because of this, I try to keep my projects pretty simple and budget-friendly while still making them fun and unique. For this project I took some simple clay pots and paint to make fun planters for some succulents I picked up. I love a little green in my home, but I don’t have anywhere near a green thumb, so succulents are the perfect plant for me.



To start, I simply sprayed all the planters with a few coats of white primer. You can purchase this at any craft or home improvement store. I usually have a few cans lying around from various projects.



Once the paint dried, I took my color of choice (gold, of course!) and simply started decorating. To decorate the planters I alternated between two methods: taping off some designs with masking tape to spray paint over, and doing a few designs freehand. I didn’t really have many of the designs preplanned, I just created them as I worked. My biggest piece of advice when crafting is just to give everything a try. If something doesn’t work, start over or try something different. I intentionally purchased a decent number of planters in case a few of my planned designs didn’t work out (like my freehanded design below).



That’s it! As with most of my paint projects, I applied a coat of acrylic sealer to the planters once they were dried to avoid the painting chipping. Once the sealer dried, I added my pretty succulents.



This project is just that easy! There are so many colors and designs to choose from that this project can work for anyone and match any decor style.


Thanks to Megan for letting me stop by today! Happy Holidays everyone!

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Too cute! I have some left over gold spray paint laying around and I just may have to try this!