When I had received an email that I could sign up for The March for Babies walk back in december, I was VERY excited!! Having a child born as early as Olivia, not only were the doctors and nurses CRUCIAL in her survival but all of the medications, and medical advances such as the technology and machines were as well. I credit The March of Dimes for this, so I found it very important for our family to be a part of this amazing event.
When choosing a location I had a hard time! I'm not going to lie, the distance for each walk was definitely looked at first but I wanted to choose a location that our friends and family could join us at as well. There were walks MUCH closer to where we currently live, but we wanted a walk that our friends and family could join at as well because the support they gave us during those first 80 days of Olivia's life were so important and we wanted to celebrate WITH them how healthy and perfect our miracle is today! We ended up choosing the Troy, MI location and were excited!!
As of Sunday, the day of our walk, we raised $2, 140!! In my mind a HUGE success considering our goal was $1,000! We did this all through the website/online fundraising and we sold squares that were hung up where Jer works. Next year we plan to have a fundraiser to hopefully raise even more!! :)
When seeing events from previous years, even this past saturday and different locations, it looked like this event was going to be a great time!! Upon arriving I was shocked! Most of the events take place in a parking lot but they usually transform it with booths, vendors such as bouncy house for the kids, food and drinks tents, etc. Also, in the email sent from the liaison for this location she said there would be tons of food and fun. At our location this was not the case. (I'm not writing this post to bash the organization, I'm writing because I want to give my honest opinion.)
At our location there were a couple tents. Two for volunteers, one to register, one to decorate strollers/wagons, one for "VIP" and 3 for each sponsor. The sponsor events had their marketing materials/ XL t-shirts and empty bowls that previously had candy. We saw a few (literally) people walking around with bagels and coffee and figured that must have been the food they were talking about in the email. We finally found a tent (didn't see that it was labeled "VIP") and attempted to walk in to grab some breakfast. We were stopped by a man with a clipboard asking what team we were with. I told him our team name and he rudely said "You and your team are not on our list, were you told you were on the VIP list?" I said "I didn't know you could become a VIP, how does one become one?" He answered that "it is based on the amount of money you raised" (and just gave this look like DUH) So I responded with "oh, I'm sorry I didn't raise enough money to get a free $.50 bagel and a cup of coffee, so much for every dollar counts!" and walked away. How rude right?! I didn't raise enough money?!!
Another complaint I have is when we were walking, there were different signs lining the sidewalks with messages from peoples families, or family's who wrote message to their baby who died or survived with pictures. I was never offered to do this, I would have had a sign made for Olivia. Another complaint about the signs I had was, we weren't even half way done with the walk, it was 3 miles, and there were volunteers pulling the signs, so half the walk had them, and half the walk the signs were gone. I thought that was weird, they should have waited to pull the signs until every walker had gone through,
When I signed up for the walk we were all asked for our t-shirt size, yet I was the only one who was allowed to get a t-shirt yet it was our whole team that raised our money and exceeded our goal! I had put down a size small and I went to get mine and the smallest they had was a medium. I was told they never ordered smalls. (Then why did you ask for my size?!)
During the walk there were "check points," that were supposed to have food, drinks and "fun." Only one check point had the fun which was bubbles for the kids and the tigers mascot was there. At the first check point, when we arrived, they had run out of everything so we didn't get any water or whatever it was they had. We were also asked to have everyone on our team have a check point sheet signed off at each check point. We did this and then when we got to the end and went to turn it in, we were told you didn't get anything for it, it was just to show that you completed the walk. (HUH?!)
All in All, I know everything was donated/sponsored. I do plan on doing this walk again next year, but DEF will be doing a different location. My friend Sarah who had walked with us with her precious princess, has done the walk closer to her house and she said it is much better so we will probably do that one. While I was disappointed how the event was run and how disorganized everything was, it was a beautiful day.
I know I'm complaining about a free t-shirt, lack of food/drinks, disorganization, but I'm not going to let those little things ruin our memory of the day. It was a gorgeous day, the sun was shining and it wasn't too cold and not hot. We got to spend time with family and friends and celebrate where Olivia is in her life now. I do believe with out the medical advances the organization has made, Olivia wouldn't be here. Even though the schmuck in the "VIP" tent tried to make me feel bad, I am VERY proud of our team and the amount we raised! Every dollar SHOULD count and I do believe it does and will.
(Olivia and I crossing the finish line!)
I'm glad we participated in the walk and I look forward to next year, and having a better experience. We celebrate Olivia every day but it was a great way to jumpstart her birthday countdown (22 days!!) and celebrate the joy she brings to our life! :)























6 comments:
You guys are such a beautiful family! And HOLY COW girl, you guys raised an AWESOME amount of money- what an accomplishment! I can imagine how frustrating that was to attend an unorganized event and to be talked to rudely by MR VIP man. I hope next year is even BETTER and more FUN for you guys :) Yayy for baby Olivia-- she rocks!!
Congratulations on your first MFB! You raised a lot of money :) I wish your walk had been better though. It makes it hard to enjoy when things are disorganized and people are rude. I hope your next experience is 1,000 times better.
I'd love for you to come link up with me. I've got a linky going for bloggers' March for Babies posts.
So proud of you guys! What a great thing you guys did. That stinks that some things didn't go as planned and it definitely can be frustrating.... But you said it best, you were there with the people you love for a great cause. And might I add... What a beautiful family you have. Love all the pics of the princess.... And especially love that last picture. So sweet!
I'm so glad y'all did the walk! I can't wait to do it in Houston next year. I hope we don't have the issues you did.
Good for you guys! Olivia is growing up and looks more beautiful in every picture you post!
I love how a walk for an amazing cause feels the need to have VIP. So rude. Other than that I' glad you had a good time.
Post a Comment